Borocouncil Header

Frequently Asked Questions About...


How do I apply for a Borough position?
Millvale Borough advertises open positions on the website & in the local newspapers as well as in the Millvale Borough Building.

How do I apply for a police officer position?
Millvale Borough advertises open police positions on the website & in local newspapers as well as in the Millvale Borough Building.

How many staff members does the Borough employ?
Millvale Borough employs. 21 full and part-time staff.


How can I receive a copy of a public record such as, meeting minutes or an ordinance?
A request in writing for access to or for a copy of a Government Record shall be submitted to the Borough Manager. Some records are immediately available other records may take 5 days to produce. There is no fee involved in simply inspecting a document during normal business hours. The fee assessed for the duplication of a printed record shall be $0.25 per page. For a police accident report there is a fee of $15.

Does the Borough accept credit cards for payment for utilities and other services?Can I have payments automatically deducted from my checking or other accounts?
The Borough accepts cash, check, or money orders but does not accept credit cards. The Borough is unable to have regularly scheduled payments deducted from checking or other accounts.

My business would like to solicit our product door to door and/or pass out flyers in Millvale. Where can I apply?
Door to door sales require registration at Borough offices for a Peddlers Permit. Cost of a Peddlers Permit is $20 per day per person. To distribute flyers to homes or on cars registration is required at Borough offices and fee of $250 per day is charged. Millvale Borough has the right to reject request for Peddlers Permits or flyer distribution.

How do I license my dog? 

Dog licenses are issued by Allegheny County. Applications are available here or at the Borough Building and can be mailed in as well.

I was injured or incured damages in Millvale and would like to know if it was Borough owned property, will the Borough cover these expenses?
The first step is to immediately contact the Borough Manager, once the Manager has been contacted she will determine if the property is owned by the Borough. Generally, if the damage or accident occured on Borough property a Tort claim could be filed.


Where is Borough Building located and what are the hours of operation?
The Borough Building is located on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Sedgwick Street, you can enter the Borough offices at the Sedgwick street entrance. The Borough mailing address is 501 Lincoln Avenue, Millvale, PA 15209. The Borough Office can be reached by phone at 412-821-2777. Borough offices are open from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

How large is Millvale Borough?
Millvale Borough comprises 0.68 square miles in Allegheny County in southwestern Pennsylvania. The population of Millvale according to the 2010 Census was 3,744.

How old is Millvale Borough?
Millvale Borough was founded in 1868.

How is Millvale Borough governed?
Millvale Borough is incorporated and organized under Pennsylvania’s Borough Code. The present type of borough government is typical of small Pennsylvania municipalities in the nineteenth century. Most of the present cities were boroughs first and became cities as their populations increased. The governing body of Millvale Borough is an elected council of seven members, elected at large for four-year overlapping terms. The powers of council are broad and extensive, covering virtually the whole range of municipal functions. A mayor is elected for a four-year term. Under the Borough Code, the Mayor oversees the operations of the Police Department, has veto authority over Council legislation and may break ties on Borough Council votes.

Like many of the more than 200 boroughs operating under the Borough Code, Millvale Borough has adopted an ordinance to establish the office of the Borough Manger. As the chief administrative officer appointed by council, the manager is responsible for carrying out the policies and enforcing the ordinances of council, relieving council members from routine daily administration.

Who is my Council Member and how may I contact him/her?
Council members are elected at large in the Borough. Click here to see the current Borough Council. Citizens who would like to contact a council member should call the Borough office at 412-821-2777.

When does Borough Council meet?
Borough Council holds two monthly meetings, typically the first and second Tuesday of the month. Council Workshops are held the first Tuesday at 6 pm, while Council Meeting is held the second Tuesday at 7 pm. with a Workshop Meeting at 6 pm. All meetings are held in the Borough Building at 501 Lincoln Avenue. All meetings are open to the public. 

If I want to voice my concern (or compliment) about Borough services or a Borough department or employee, what do I do?
If you know the specific department, you wish to contact please call or e-mail them directly. The Borough Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Borough. You may to contact the Borough Manager’s office at 412-821-2777, or write to Millvale Borough, 501 Lincoln Avenue, Millvale, PA 15209.